Saturday, November 3, 2012

Running on Hold

To be honest with you all, I have felt very lazy and unmotivated since running the marathon.  I totally intended to following Hal Higdon's training plan post marathon.

Well, that failed.  I took off 9 days and ran 2 miles in 19:25.  I was pleased to run sub 20, but my right ITB/knee felt stiff and tight during the run.  However, the pain wasn't enough for me not to finish.  So, I finished the run.

I think that pain scared me so I decided to back off.  And, then the laziness kicked it.  I made every excuse under the sun not to run.  Soon, it became too cold to run outside, too dark to run outside and of course, my legs hurt so why bother running when I can sit at home at the comfort of my couch watching my TV shows and eating junk food?

So, I sat around and did nothing.  But, I had a damn good time not running.  I hung out with my boyfriend.  We went to the Two Brothers Brewery in Warrenville and did a tour and got samples of their delicious beer.  We went to Paddy Long's in Lakeview and binged on beer and bacon.

In those 17 days, I did think about working out.  But, honestly, I didn't want to do it so I didn't.  I couldn't even get my sorry ass to the gym to at least hop on the elliptical or walk on the treadmill.  Nope, my workouts consisted of raising my hand to my face to shove food (or a bottle of beer) into my mouth and plopping my ass down on my comfy couch remote control in hand.

Plus, I'm addicted to "The Voice"!  I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked in, but that failed and now, I'm super into it.  And, it takes up at least two weeknights (three next week) of my life.  Damn TV show.

Also, I am still upset about my time since I really felt like I could have run better if I hadn't been injured, if I had properly trained, etc. etc.  There are so many "what ifs" in my head.  I'm disappointed in my performance, but is is what it is.  I really wasn't smart in deciding that I needed to break a certain time.  My goal should have been to simply finish the race.  And, I did achieve that goal.  I'm proud of myself, I guess, but there's a part of me that feels bitter about it.

I went to the end of the season party with my running group and our group leader announced everyone's times.  He didn't announce mine for some reason and I think that may have been because he may not know that I'm actually part of the training group.  I really didn't care because I didn't want my time announced anyway.  My pace group leader told me to announce it to everyone, but I didn't want to since I'm not proud of it.

So yeah, anyway, I finally woke up and realized that Big Sur is coming up.  I don't want to skip out on the race since I've paid so much money for the race and for the trip.  And, to be honest, I'm pretty much going to California to run the race and see my family.  I had SUCH a great time at the race last year and performed pretty well.

So, this morning, I finally got up off my ass and ran.  My training group is still meeting, but I decided that I wasn't ready for that.  And, I didn't want to meet at 7:00.  I slept in some more and ran later.

I ran 8.03 miles in 1:17:19 (9:37 per mile).  The first three miles were pretty rough.  Maybe I'm coming down with something, but I kept getting a lot of phlegm caught in my throat and I was hocking loogies quite a bit.  And, I think I took it out a bit too quick too.

Anyway, after the first three went down, I started to feel better and I felt like my feet were moving OK. This went pretty well until about 6 miles in.  I planned on doing 8 so I really wanted to make it.  Plus, if I had to stop and walk, it'd take forever to get home.  Or, I'd have to call Jim to come get me and I didn't want to do that.

My left hip had a sharp, shooting pain that was in the area near my groin.  It hurt so bad and I really was thinking about coming to a complete stop.  I ran into a long driveway leading into a park area and i stopped and stretched it.  It felt a lot better after that and I was able to finish the run.  My right knee hurt pretty much the whole way through.  The pain was by my kneecap area.

So, on the one hand, I'm happy that I finished my goal of 8 miles.  It probably was dumb to have run so much off the bad with a 17 day delay in running.  And, I'm totally worried about this hip/knee pain.  I think I'm going to have my legs looked at again.  Also, the race is questionable.  Ideally, I'd like to get a 10 miler in before the race.  If I can do that, then I think I can run 13.1.  Plus, I've already run a marathon so half is not that bad.

We shall see.  All I know is that I've got to fix whatever is going on STAT so I can get back up and running full time again.  The 17 day delay was not a good thing at all, but I do think the break was needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment