Thursday, February 21, 2013

I WANT IN - let's give Chicago another go

Ok, so now I want to run the marathon now that there is a chance that I won't be able to run it.  There are only 15,000 spots left.

I decided to postpone signing up Tuesday over my lunch break since I read about people having trouble.  I figured I'd give it a few hours and that it would not sell out by the time I got home around 6:30.  I went to the webpage later that evening and saw that it had been suspended.  My heart dropped a little.  How could all those spots sell out in 3 to 4 hours?! 

Anyway, it's not like I don't have other options if I do decide that my heart's set on running it.  I can run for charity, which could be really beneficial in many ways.  I'd most likely run for one benefiting Alzheimer's since my grandmother who passed 5 years ago suffered from it.  Or, I'd run for Girls on the Run.  The amounts that you need to funraise seem pretty doable.  I just hate having to ask people for money.  But, that's another story.

I've also convinced my little brother to run it with me (if he can).  He said he'd do it if I spotted him the case for the registration fee.  So, I will do that since it would be fun if the three of us ran and finished it.  Plus, I really need to get back into running again since I've fallen so far off the boat.  This will get me motivated to get it done and improve upon my time from last year.

Oh, and I noticed that the corrals changed.  Based on my half times, I can either get into Corral D or Corral E.  You have you have run the time on or after January 1, 2011.  Technically, my marathon time would put me in Corral H, but I'll sign up for G since I think I can improve my time.  I think it'd be too much to go on my half time.  I don't want to start out too fast and pay for it.  Plus, the pace group leaders for the times I want to run it in won't be in that corral anyway.  I'm glad they did away with the lumping all the charity runners into one corral like they did last year.

So, yeah, registration won't open up for a few more days so I've got more time to mull it over, but I think that I am pretty much just going to give it another go. What the hell, right?


  1. Sorry to hear that you were locked out that evening. Good luck.

  2. Thanks Pete! I really hope I can get in!