Sunday, September 8, 2013

Week 13 Recap: Another 18 Mile Run

Source
I successfully completed my second 18 mile training run in 3:00:47.  I didn't feel as good about it as I felt with my first one.  This was because it was a lot hotter toward the end of my run.  The first 15 miles went really well and then the wheels fell off the bus.  My other training group members were feeling the same way.  Therefore, we took extended walking breaks and hydrated a lot more.  There were points in the run where I didn't know if I'd make it, but I was able to power through and get it done.

My legs felt OK and my IT bands didn't bother me.  My right hip tweaked out a little bit during the run, but it was not anything serious.  My calves were sore post run and my Achilles still act up in the morning.  I'm doing my calf stretches per my PT's advice and that's supposed to help.

I had PT twice last week.  He worked on my right hip during my first session and stretched it and massaged it hard.  I almost cried.  On Friday, he used the dreaded stick to work on my right calf, hamstring and ITB.  I almost cried again, but he showed me pictures of his dogs so that helped.  I did a lot of hip work at PT this week, which I think is helping.

My PT asked me if I am more prepared for the marathon this year.  I told him that I think I am, but I really can't say for sure.  My IT bands hurt a lot less and I was able to put off PT until the 12th week of training.  I think I'm getting in about the same mileage and I haven't missed a long run yet.  My weekly long runs are another story though.

More importantly, I think my attitude toward the marathon is better since I know what to expect and I want to perform better this year compared to last year.  I really wanted to quit after week 15 after having missed my 20 miler for no good reason.  I'm definitely getting my 20 miler in this year. Hopefully I'll be able to achieve my time goal.

T-Minus 34 days until the marathon!  34 more days until I can get my life back!  GO BEARS!  Why are we losing to the Bengals?!  Hope your training is going well!

12 comments:

  1. I bet a lot of people had runs like that this week! It was humid around here! That is a great pace!

    Ha ha, I like that you have advanced to pictures of puppies to deal with the pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have worked out an arrangement. He knows me all too well. A cupcake place is right next to his office so sometimes I will treat myself after a particularly painful session. :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the 18 mile long run. There was pretty brutal humidity and heat the last week or two, so running was a struggle for most of us! When the marathon comes, it will hopefully be cool and seem like a piece of cake (or cupcake)! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm feeling more confident in my abilities to complete the race now that I have two of these under my belt! Hopefully the weather cooperates! :)

      Delete
  3. Get that foam roller! :) I haven't had IT Band issues since regularly using.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder! I have to get better about that! Are you planning on running another marathon? Do you have any upcoming races?

      Delete
    2. I was planning to run the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon on 11/2, but then I strained my left calf muscle :( My running has been super spotty ever since so, I don't see myself running a full until next Spring. I may still run the half though, who knows! I definitely want to run another one at some point though.

      Delete
    3. Oh no! Are you in PT for your calf? What are you doing to treat it? Congrats on completing a 10 mile run... I saw your post on Facebook. What Spring full would you want to run?

      Delete
    4. Thanks! I was doing some at home PT. I had to fully rest for 10 days, then do 5 days of PT (resistance band exercise, light towel stretching) then I was cleared to run. But even then, I had to "ease back in." I wanted to try for the full still, but as time went on I was more interested in running without pain. I'm eyeing a Spring race though, not sure which b/c I'm moving to Portland, OR in a few weeks!! Funny enough, I kind of want to come back to Cincinnati to run the Flying Pig full. I've only done the 10K, but I hear that it's a great marathon. Are you thinking about a Spring?

      Delete
    5. Portland? That's awesome! Is it for work? I can only imagine the awesome times you will have running through the city. And, you can check out Seattle too! Running without pain probably is better than pushing to finish another full. Several people in my training group have run Flying Pig and they loved it. They said it was hilly though, but they trained hard so they were able to PR on a somewhat difficult course.

      As for me, a spring full would mean training during the winter, which I'm not too sure I want to do. I'll see how Chicago goes before I make my mind up. I've given myself a three strikes and I'm out rule - if I can't beat Oprah's time in three goes, then I'll put the full on the back buner for a while (or maybe forever).

      Hope you heal fully soon! :)

      Delete
    6. It is! I have been looking for a move for a little while now, and I found a great opportunity out there that's still with the bank so, yay! I totally plan to take advantage of some west coast races. If you do Big Sur again, you'll have to let me know, it's on my list to try at some point. I also plan to make some trips to Seattle. We did visit Seattle for two days when I ran the Vancouver BC Marathon, but I would definitely not mind going back.

      Flying Pig is hilly! Mostly in the beginning but from what I hear, you have to be careful otherwise those hills can come back to bite you. Training during the winter did wear on me after a while last year. I got so tired to trying to adjust my clothing based on the temperature and how warm it would feel when I got going, etc. I prefer to just throw on a tank top and shorts and be out the door. It's a good way to stay in shape when it's colder though.

      I think you're going to get your time this year though, you've had some good training. GOOD LUCK!!

      Delete
    7. Definitely! The Big Sur half was awesome and had some rolling hills, but nothing too crazy. The full is supposed to be a lot hillier though. Some people in my training group ran it last year and they enjoyed it. You should definitely check out the Bay Area of Cali if you haven't already.

      Winter training sounds like it got rough, but was well worth it in the end. I'm debating on training in the winter with my group, but I'll see how tomorrow goes before I make any decisions.

      Thank you! I hope I am able to get my goal time as well. If not, improvement from last year will be good enough!

      Delete