Friday, January 24, 2014

I'm FAMOUS & signs

Hello all!

Forgive me, but I have been such a slacker post-marathon and have not been posting.  That would be because I haven't really done much since October and therefore, have little to blog about.  I kept trying to write a longer recap of the marathon, but have decided to forgo it.  I'm not going to give you the mile-by-mile.  First, it's so far in the past and second, the only thing I really have to say is that I'm happy that I set a huge PR and accomplished my goal of breaking 4:30.

In other news, I have started to work out again.  Granted, I'm not running yet, but am starting to do cardio work at the gym in my office building.  It's better than nothing.  Anyway, I swear, there are signs that are telling me that I have to get off my butt and get my rear in gear.

First, I had a dream that I weighed over 20 pounds than the most I have ever weighed in my life.  I FREAKED out when I woke up and immediately got on the scale (bad idea).  Thankfully, the number was not the number from my dream.  It's still more than I want, which is a given saying I've done nothing for three months.

Second, my work is participating in the Hustle Up the Hancock this year.  My office always participates and this year, I decided to join the team.  Now, I have to start working out so I don't make a fool out of myself and finish last out of my teammates.

Third, my picture is on the registration page for the Soldier Field 10 Miler.  If that's not a sign, then I don't know what is.  So needless to say, I signed up for that race.

I am the runner in the pink shirt & white cap
I'm thinking about doing the Shamrock Shuffle, but don't know if I can justify A) $45 for an 8K and B) having to trek down to the city.  Also, the weather can be bit of a doozy in March.  Have you participated in the Shamrock Shuffle?  If so, do you like it and is it worth doing?

My proposed race agenda is as follows:
  • March 16: St. Paddy's Day 5K (if I am ready by then, which I kind of doubt)
  • March 30: Shamrock Shuffle
  • April 19: CARA 10 Miler
  • April 26: Loop the Lakes 5K (this is in my hometown so I most likely will do this and this will be my first race of the season if I can't get ready earlier)
  • May 24: Soldier Field 10 Miler
  • June 1: North Shore Half Marathon
  • July: TBD - maybe a 4th of July race and/or the Run from the Cops 5K which is held in my town
  • August 31: Buffalo Grove Stampede 10K or 5K
  • September 21: CARA Ready to Run 20 Miler or the 20 Miler in Schaumburg (if I get into the marathon)
  • October 12: Chicago Marathon (if I get in)
I want to run Chicago again.  I really don't want to run any other marathon than Chicago either.  I'm sure there are great marathons out there, but I like the city atmosphere, the big crowds and lots of runners.  My bro wants to run it as well since he could not run it last year due to a knee injury.  So, if we both get in, I can always run with him to make sure he finishes.  I've hit my time goal anyway.  The next goal will be to run a 4:22:00 (10 minute) miles or better.  Diddy's 4:14:54 looks tempting, but may be a stretch.

Anyway, hope that you all are doing well & are staying warm!  To all of you runners who brave these conditions, you are super brace & awesome!  More power to you!

2 comments:

  1. I love the Shamrock Shuffle. It's well-run, the downtown course is great, and the shirts are always awesome. Yes, you have to trek to Navy Pier for packet pickup, which sucks, but nothing beats Shuffle day. I make the trip from the suburbs every year, and it's one of my favorite races the whole year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mo! Thank you for your comment! I've never raced it before and the shirts are awesome so perhaps it is time for me to do it! Running downtown is always so much fun. Hope your running is going well & that you are staying warm!

    ReplyDelete