![]() |
| Source |
Tuesday: 3
- First, I failed to wake up early to get my run in outdoors in the morning when the weather was ideal. So, I had to run outside after work when the temps were a little warmer - maybe in the high 60s/low 70s. I ran 3 miles in 27:56.98 (avg pace 9:18), which wasn't terrible. At least I completed the run despite the temptation to just go home and lay on the couch. So far so good, I guess.
Wednesday: 6 miles aka SUPER FAIL DAY
- Fail 1: failed to buy monthly train ticket until very last day and missed my normal train, had to take the later one and got home about 30 minutes later than normal
- Fail 2: I still could have gotten the run in, but failed to do so because I chose to priorizie watching MasterChef. I thought it was new episodes from 7 to 9 that night. Turns out the first hour was a re-run! I was so pissed at myself for not checking that ahead of time.
Thursday: 3 miles
- I ran 3.01 miles in 28:12.62 (avg pace 9:22) before work. However, I had to only run 3 (as opposed to 6) since I woke up too late. So, that was a semi-fail, but at least I did something, right?
Today: 6 miles
- First, I don't know what I thought trying to run 6 miles before a 13 (or 15) mile long run is even remotely a good idea, but I really wanted to get my mileage in since I'm supposed to run 25 freaking miles this week. I woke up at 4:30 with every intention of getting out the door to run by 5. However, it was raining a little so I waited to it to clear and didn't get out as early as I wanted.
The run started out really bad - like almost an 11 minute mile pace bad so I knew a 6 mile run was not in the cards. I decided to see how I felt at the 1.5 mile mark and also to check to see what time it was. It was about 5:22 and I hadn't even hit the 1.5 mile mark. So, I knew there was no way in hell I was running 6 and getting home by 6am. So, I turned around and it all went downhill from there.
I had to stop a couple of times to walk it out and to collect myself. Also, on the way home, it started to downpour and I was just pissed at myself, but had to force myself to keep on going since walking would take even longer to get home.
I ended up running 3 miles in 31:00.94 (10:20 mile pace), which is way off my normal 3 miles run times anywhere from the 27:00s to 28:00s.
A Decision:
So, here's the thing... obviously I haven't run enough mileage this week at all and the thought of running 13 miles doesn't really seem feasible at this point. Do I even bother to attempt to get a long run in or should I just screw it and take a rest day?
Option 1: show up to the group long run on Saturday and attempt to run & stick to 13 miles only
Option 2: maybe break down the mileage this week (13) and run 6 Saturday and 7 Sunday
Option 3: screw it all together and take a rest day, which truthfully, I probably need & get back on the boat next week (cut back week - thank goodness)
Any thoughts on what I should do?? Truthfully, I'm leaning toward Option 3 right now... Ugh... off to shower and get ready for work. Happy Friday all! Hope your training is going better than mine!!

I'd try to do some miles, even at a slow pace. Make it a fun run maybe. I find the more runs I miss, the easier I find it to skip the next one.
ReplyDeleteI would imagine you still have enough conditioning to do 13, and if you choose that, go slower.
Otherwise, doing half at a fun pace would be a good filler.
And for those pre work runs, try to give yourself enough time to get back home running at your slower end pace, rather than what you want to do. So if you hit your pace, you get home early :)
Good point Declan - miles are better than no runs and if I let myself slack on the long run this weekend I can see myself slacking some more, which definitely would be a bad thing. I'll see how I feel tonight and maybe get out there tomorrow. Worse comes to worse I can always run with a slower pace group.
ReplyDelete